Wednesday, July 29, 2026

There's One In Every Classroom...When Life Gives Us Lemons, Seek the Artists Amongst Us. Week 2 Ubuntu Academy & I Love the Brilliance

As we read Sea of Lemon Trees, we are also operating within a lemon seed, and yesterday we prepped kids with creating characters out of trace lemon shapes. The kids were supposed to draw at least 4 moods that could be detailed by facial expressions. This followed up with lessons on lemon trees and lemon groves, and a morning reading of the first 40 pages. I caught Nathanial, Harding High School Junior, sketching these bad boys. I love when I can an artist in action, and laughed at the E=MC(squared) face. I had to get a picture to show others how wonderful students can be. The kicker? He's only been in the U.S. for two years and is a sponge for everything. He also missed the bus back to Central, so I drove him home (he goes to Harding and lives down the street...which is also a couple of miles from me). 

We had a productive day with the Ubuntu kids, amazed by this lemon character activity we did. It worked on many levels.

I came home to learn the CNY cycle of lost wallets and heart circulation came to ahead again, and mom didn't take chances so went to the hospital...better safe than sorry. Casey went to see here there (which took a 2nd, because no one knew what hospital the ambulance took her to), while Cynde stayed on Almalfi with Dad. It hasn't sat still there for over a year and every text/phone call keeps us on our toes.

Perhaps that is why I baked last night...to ease my mind. After a disastrous attempt at a dining hall cake today (how do you ruin chocolate cake?) some of the students said we're going to have a bake off. We want a better dessert. I made two batches of my Kentucky cake, of course. I didn't have enough oil so used butter instead (which didn't create the same consistency....we shall see).

Prayers up for Mimi Sue once again. Cynde was able to find Papi's wallet. 

There's One In Every Classroom...When Life Gives Us Lemons, Seek the Artists Amongst Us. Week 2 Ubuntu Academy & I Love the Brilliance

As we read  Sea of Lemon Trees , we are also operating within a lemon seed, and yesterday we prepped kids with creating characters out of tr...