Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Rocking Out with Ubuntu Academy Is What Fuels Me for the Rest Of the Academic Year. Love This Work.

When I took a National Writing Project job, I stayed true to my Brown School ways, and aimed to build super diverse, inclusive spaces for writers. This includes the creation of Ubuntu Academy, support for immigrant- and refugee-background English language learners, and a dedication to their writing being published, too. I knew I would bring the blow-up, rock-out props from Little Lab to Ubuntu Academy, so the older kids could perform joy, too. 

Yesterday, we rocked out. We did the Scripted workshop, saw Mr. King in a number of hairstyles, and composed final interview pieces and beginning dialogue ones.

As part of the script, a band of students was utilized to Rock out with Will's balding head. Much joy. More laughter. Always a blessing to teach young people that learning should always be a good time.

We'll be back at it again in about an hour.

I got a walk in late last night, because I'm not sure how the next 48 hours will be. It seems iffy, but that's the way most of last week was, too.

Today, we hit the Sea of Lemon Trees. Looking forward to learning how they respond.

Rocking Out with Ubuntu Academy Is What Fuels Me for the Rest Of the Academic Year. Love This Work.

When I took a National Writing Project job, I stayed true to my Brown School ways, and aimed to build super diverse, inclusive spaces for wr...