Saturday, September 12, 2026

No Clue Who Elliott and Sabrina Are, and That is Not the Mr. Moonbeam I Remember from Brown, But I'll Go With It.

Crazy whirlwind yesterday, without actually leaving my writing couch on the porch. I met with district literacy coordinators, edited several pieces of POW, designed PD for upcoming workshops in local schools, and got ahead on next week's classes. 

While on district TEAMS meetings, I a truck pulled out front and these men started mowing and landscaping my yard. At first I thought I should make them stop, but then I began to think that it was next on my to-do list. I let them go. They did the back. They weed-whacked and they blew it all away. As they were driving off, I got a picture of the truck, called the company, and left a message that I came home as they were departing and I don't pay for lawn services. I would feel terrible if they got the wrong house, and the right house wasn't served. I also said, "I haven't surveyed the property yet for damage, but I'll be in touch if I find any."

It offered me an extra hour in my day of cutting the grass! 

I also read a post about how the Moonbeams/All Stars, Seniors/Kindergarten mentorship program is still going on and there were a number of shout-outs to me and Bonnie. I recently saw a photo of Bonnie and, with Wendell Berry's passing, wanted to get in touch. I called several numbers I found online and on the last one, I left a message when she jumped on and said, "It's me! It's me!" We spent two hours catching up, and she told me she has been without Internet, email, and all technology since she retired decades ago. She really hasn't kept up with anyone, found joy working on the farm she built upon retirement, and loves working for the Berry Foundation (although the passing has added new layers). Trust me, Bryan. Everyone I work with gets frustrated that I don't text, use email, or know what any of the online world is.

It's definitely been over 25 years since we worked together, and we talked about shared students, our times in Denmark, her move to the farm and my times out there. She wondered where I went after Brown and I caught her up on that. 

Bonnie Cecil was simply phenomenal as an educator. I loved her as a mentor and an individual. It was absolutely surreal to talk with the All Stars Diva again and to remember the Mr. Moonbeam days. One of my most cherished stories as a teacher came from our time where we united seniors and those just entering school for yearlong buddy-ship. I was humbled to see it's still going on today, 20 years since I left the Brown. 

I also spent the evening with Emmi and Max, prepping for a conference presentation, and checking in on their year as teachers. I wish I could say this weekend was designed for distractions, but I have to be in ram mode until the work gets done and it's not my nature to fall behind. I need to be self-disciplined and strategic to stay afloat this Fall. 

I Know It's the Marathon, But I Needed to Spring to Catch Up with Summer Work So I Can Stand Straight with the New Semester

I can be ambitious at times, and impractical. I've been in over my head for most of my life, but this Fall I'm feeling extra burdene...