Saturday, August 8, 2026

It Wasn't That I Was Looking Ahead to Fall, It's That I'm a Clearance Guy, and Fall Seemed to Make an Appearance on Me. Hiking Boots, Well, Sneakers. Yup. Saucony

Look. I'm not buying cars. I'm not impressing expensive women behind my family's back. I'm not signed up for a marathon. I know my limits. But I do like keeping my feet comfortable and I've had a Saucony fetish since my teen-years when I first started running for mental health. Nope, I don't run any more, but I do walk daily and when I can I go hiking on trails. So, when the Kermit shoes came across my screen and they were more than 1/2 off, I made the purchase. They going to do a nice job in my household.

My other kicks are like my others and aren't as funky cool as the hiker kicks. .

I awaited the storms all day and got excited when Pam had cancelled plans and wanted to know if I wanted a turkey BLT, minus the L. She didn't want to risk the stomach virus. She said I'd need to bring rolls, and I said only if I could bring lettuce, too...for me. I went with a Big Y Tuscan bread (which they cut much thicker than Wegmans and Price Chopper) and she went with a fresh onion roll. There is NOTHING as DELICIOUS as a BLT in the summer. I hate making bacon, but she has an air fryer. We ate in slow motion to enjoy every bite and then spent the afternoon in the pool. It's been a few years since I've in a pool. Love doing somersaults and getting that wonderful feeling in the stomach.

It was refreshing. 

Penguin Random House sent me another box of books, so I laid low last night and read a few on the porch couch as the storms came in. Last night, I stayed up last night watching the DCI pre-lims on Flo-Marching, so I knew I'd lay low for the most part. I enjoyed watching, I suppose, but I go in and out of why the competition even exists, but also with intrigue for its rituals and histories. I wish I knew how they scored, because my favorite group was Phantom Regiment, but they were in the middle of the pack. The group that one Pre-Lims, the Bluecoats from Canton, Ohio, are definitely the best in terms of entertainment, but for the ol' DCI drum & bugle feel, it was Phantom Regiment for me. I will say that the 'coats God Only Knows (Beach Boys) and I've Seen All Good People (Yes) melodies really are great on the ears and heart. I imagine they will be untouchable. Zei should just plop to the ground and the Boston Crusaders blurred lines were a blur. Can't remember anything good about the show but the human wave (which was cool). Music. Whomp whomp whomp. 

I haven't watched in decades, but for some reason tuned in last night...probably because the algorithms on social media are plaguing my feeds. 

Leo is out of town a jazz festival, and the ladies are having a cards night...no men invited. It's the normal hen clucking that goes on over this, but without Leo or me. So, the Friday night was dull and uneventful, except for the books and glass of Diet Coke (which I read yesterday instantly turns into stomach fat for middle age men...can't win with anything anymore). 

But now it's Saturday morning and I told Pam, we'd better have a replay of that BLT sandwich. We shall see. I left all the ingredients in her condo. 

I'm a Failure at Shopping. Rarely Do It. Could Care Less. But Every Once In a While I Get a Wild Hair in My System.

I've had the same set of glasses since the late 90s....purchased at Pier One, when that was a thing, and with me through many transition...