Monday, September 7, 2026

A Long Overdue Reunion & a Noodler Performance at West Have Porch Fest. And Here I Thought I'd Just Grill

Louisville looked good again, beating Texas in 3. Fun Volleyball weekend, as Fairfield also won the Northeastern tournament. I knew I wanted to work until 2 pm and then join colleagues at Porch Fest, where several of our friends had an hour set. Edem and Zeevah came down from Waterbury to join us, but as I predicted, I was pulling out as he was arriving. "The parking is insane." It was. 

We ended up driving to Walnut Beach where she named everything she saw. Rico scared her with his bark, and she was napping when they pulled in. It took her a while to warm up, but as Edem said, "Oh, she's a talker." She has definitely become one since I last saw her. Some of the words are 100% understandable and then there is much language I think she's pulling from the sky. And she can laugh. Her smile and giggles would stop anyone in their place, asking them to join the joke. She loves her daddy, misses her twin Zuri, and wants her newborn little sister, Zaila, home with her...but they're still in Jamaica after Zuri knocks a pot of boiling water on his chest, shoulder, and back while visiting his grandmother. He has a 3-week hospitalization with 2nd degree burns. I think Edem was in need of company to process paternal care, as Zeevah stayed home with him. 

Zeevah's developing quickly (and the twins are so tall). She still doesn't have control of her elbows and biceps, nor her angles and feet. She wears braces, and can walk with assistance. She's come a long way since her 1.5 pound birth and 3-month hospital stay. And she's adorable...loves entertaining people. 

Beth rocked at Porch Fest as I knew she would and I laughed when she donned a blonde wig to sing some Dolly to close out their set. 

All this said, I didn't get home until around 8 p.m. and ate late, never grilling all that I prepped in the fridge early yesterday morning. I'm aiming to try again today, as it is Labor Day, and a 2nd Sunday has been restored. 

I should admit, too, that I watched Mandalorian & Grogu on Disney Saturday night and I'm a non-judgmental guy at times. I knew it was going to be cheesy and was prepared for it. I wanted the eye candy, effects, silliness, and trust that someone can actually take down those that deserve to have their power taken away. The tin-can character is a bit of a folk hero to me...and he sure gained many international fighting moves for the movie. He was a one-man revenger at all times (well, Grogu did his usual oh-look-a-new-power upgrade along the movie). Heir to Jabba the Hutt, Rotta was the surprise of the night. Who knew such character development could come from a Hutt. Interesting to see them delve into that world some more. I'm a Star Wars kid, so anything that comes out is entertaining for me. 

I feel a repeat of yesterday coming on for today (especially a BLT at lunch). I need to start hitting CWP summer work up hard, though, because I still don't have the support/assistance I need...not even a graduate student. I keep telling myself that what get's done is what can be done, but I still beat myself up for not accomplishing more, faster. 

It's all good. At least this Monday, is so not a Monday.

It Will Only Be Temporary, Karal. Not Quite Sure What It Was, But It's Being Treated. Seems to Be a Symbol of Life Right Now

About a week ago, I felt these tiny bumps on Karal's head. Just a couple. I think I picked one, thinking it was a baby tick. A couple da...