Saturday, September 26, 2026

Nope, Not a Dish of Rainbow Sherbet...Just a Nor'Easter Wrecking Plans for the Weekend & Keeping the Ol' Sump Pump Active

I knew Friday was going to be a bust, although I did get two pieces sent for potential publication and a grant report in...that actually does sound like I did accomplish something. I spent most of the day as a medical transport system for Jay Taylor, a colleague who had a toothache, which resulted in having three wisdom teeth pulled. Good thing they told him to get a ride because he was rough when I picked him up...even had to escort him into CVS to get his meds. He was not expecting having three teeth pulled and reported he felt it. Poor guy held ice packs on his cheeks all the way home. 

"Wait. They pulled from both sides?" I asked. That's when I learned he had three pulled. I dropped him off and he said they would call when finished. He was there longer than expected so I knew something was up. He'll be on the couch to welcome the nor'easter and he lives on the water in West Haven. I hope his house doesn't get hit hard.

The winds kicked up about 6:30, and the rains started around 8 pm. I actually talked myself into going to a campus event, even though I wanted to hunker down in my house. I figure I'll be doing that for the next 48 hours so thought, "What's a little rain to kick of an almost-hurricane?"

I wish I was better taking advantage of weather obstacles, as these are like snow days with rain and winds. People will lose electricity and trees will fall down. Houses will flood. I just hope none of it affect my home. We shall see. 

Once upon a time one could get the weather by watching the Weather Channel, but like everything these days, that isn't as easy as it once was. Pay for this or download this. Meanwhile social media feeds offer craziness in all directions. Hard to believe what to believe.

Finally, the skies before the storm have been eerie pink and orange. I know it's at night, but there will be no delight. Laura Schall-Leckrone captured it in Lordship on her phone and sent it to me. On her end, they also got a rainbow. Amazing. 

We wait and see. That is all we can do.

Oh, the Joy of Homemade French Onion Soup Followed by the World's Worst Movie Ever Made (and I Watched It All)

The rain wasn't as bad as expected, but at times the bands were rough with winds. I drove to the ocean, too, and it wasn't as choppy...