Yesterday, we asked, "Why aren't we also inviting Ubuntu Academy to the nature writing opportunity?" and we read from Force of Nature, to inspire writing about place and home. It was beautiful to see English-language learning youth sharing photos and words to describe the beauty of their homelands and where they'd go for peace. As Max noted, "Wow. These prompts really have the kids focused in their notebook." Perhaps if we all spent more time writing about location and natural aesthetics, we wouldn't be having these epic storms, fires, and heat. Who needs the planet, though, when you can make money on crypto and with international island hopping to support human sex-trafficking? We are definitely living in a very bizarre time -- one that I hope future historians are able to name. I keep thinking back to the industrial barons of the early 20th century and watching footage of how nothing but making money mattered to them. Humans? Workers? Laborers? Nope. Profit trumped it all.
I also spent time working on a few college essays, although much care takes place with each one and it's hard to get to all of them (this, of course, is frustrating). I'm always amazed at the stories young people put together as a way to sell their talents to the next phase of their lives.
I have two young men from Fairfield Prep, and I know it gets a bad reputation from time to time because of the actions of a few. For me, I'm always inspired by how well that school invests in young men to be well-rounded, focused, dedicated, and mature. They impress me and I'm lucky to have two again this year. The kindness instilled in them is transparent.
I managed to leave my phone on campus, so wasn't able to join Dave for dinner with Val, Jen, and Ish. I did get into my ginger chicken, though, and to do a grocery run. I'm not going to let this be a rant about the self-serving cashiers or the lack of employees (as it's been a theme of my entire week). I will say that drove home wondering, "Have we really become this crass and vapid as a species?" There is no longer ANY customer care. It's like the nation has given up....my opinion, we should be ashamed of ourselves. There is so much satire needing to be written and demonstrated.
It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. I most definitely is the most preposterous of times.
But it's Thursday, and we have much to accomplish today and tomorrow. So back to I-95 I go.
