Friday, July 24, 2026

I Take the Blessings in the Small Things, Including Yesterday's Ann Burg Visit and the Bravery of Several Young People Sharing Their Writing with Her

I'm fanatical about Ann Burg books, as I think lyrically, but also appreciate historicity. She does her homework, introduces me to ideas and concepts I hadn't known about before, and she simply loves children. We invited her back for our first-ever In All Things - the Nature Writing Lab, and also asked for members of Ubuntu Academy to join us, as they had a fantastic time writing about place in yesterday's workshops. Ann inspired the writers and wondered if they would share theirs, too.

One of the young men from Haiti, only in the country for two years, got his notebook from downstairs and read his writing about a waterfall near his home. It was beautiful...not meant to be poetic, but poetic. Mr. King said afterwards, "I had no idea he had that much language and thinking in him." I always love when young people defy expectations. "I can't believe he read in the front of the room in front of an author and all those other kids."

Wusah. For me, this is the winning. The goal is to have moments like this. 

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what is going on with my joints, especially my hips, knees, ankles, and feet. They seem to be weakening, and the throbbing is really starting to bother me. It's never hurt to walk, but it does now. I'm irked, as not being able to run started to bother me, but now I'm wondering if I won't be able to walk soon. I went in to ask about internal psoriatic arthritis, and the doctor thought I was insane. I left thinking it was in my head, but I'm pretty sure it's not. It really does hurt.

Dave, Ish, and I went to Dockside, since it is their last night in the hood. I've really enjoyed that we watch two or three Ted Lasso episodes each night. It's friendly, fun, smart, therapeutic, humorous, and well-done. I think this is my 5th time going through all the episodes. Ish got me addicted again, and I know I won't stop after they leave. They're heading to Nyack, New York, for the night, but then back to Penn State. 

It's Friday today, which means the campus will be vacated except for the summer camps, which are a combination of enrichment programs like mine, sports, and computer/STEM opportunities. It is something to see all the kids in the cafeteria for lunch. Insane, actually. 

Ah, I'm so looking forward to a quiet, beautiful weekend. The goal is to get my feet in the sand.

May the Muppets Be Triumphant, Always. One More Week to Go with Literacy Labs & Wonderful Memories Were Secured (Kermit, Included)

Still not sure who sent me the random Kermit t-shirt, Rainbow Connection, but I remember singing it in elementary school choir and another 4...