Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Wonderful to Have College Essay Back in Our Summer Line Up and to Work with Kim & Dave Again on Super-Achieving with Upper Classmen.

I admitted to Dave post-teaching, yesterday, I could have come directly home and slept until this morning. I was wiped out. We had crazy storms and rains: some of the footage is just wild. Dave saved the afternoon, however, by suggesting pizza for dinner which saved evening energy (even if I crock-potted chicken for another day. Dinner at 5. And then storms moved south (which was lucky, because the ground is saturated with water).

Karal, however, would not go out to pee. She has a thing with rain. 

The college essay crew got going yesterday and it's nice to read the first drafts and to watch so many of our adults mentoring and guiding the drafts forward. I love when they start cranking our material, giving us words to appreciate and mentor them. 

One young man in Ubuntu Academy drafted his essay, too, and I was blow away by the craft, yes, but also the content. Before migrating to the U.S., his father was murdered. They lived in Mexico and he was baking a cake. His father called to say he loved him and the next thing he knew a call came to report his death. He's been in Bridgeport for two years and I couldn't believe his talent with English.

The Nature Writing camp has had some issues with the "nature" part of the writing, but we've made some progress through compromise. A majority want to get outside to think, but there are the resisters (and when kids have cellphones, they call their moms. Their moms drive to campus to get them, but then they change their mind). My words to both parent and kid, "Um, this is a bit much. I'm not sure I'd leave work because of the wild whims and sporadic nature of a kid." I felt bad for the mom, but the girl turned around and seemed to figure out a way to survive in nature camp without any interest in nature. 

C'est la vie. 

And just like that...we have a Wednesday. Hump Day it shall be.

May the Muppets Be Triumphant, Always. One More Week to Go with Literacy Labs & Wonderful Memories Were Secured (Kermit, Included)

Still not sure who sent me the random Kermit t-shirt, Rainbow Connection, but I remember singing it in elementary school choir and another 4...