Saturday, July 18, 2026

Waka Wake Waka. Gotto Channel My Inner Fozzy the Bear Comedian Routines with All Three Walkers at Once. The Magical Minds in Stereo.

Slid into Friday afternoon thirsting for down time. I wanted to mow, and get out of the house. Brought Rico's gift over (random act of kindness), got dinner, and went to bed knowing that there is no need to wake up until I do. 2 weeks of the 6 a.m. alarms has me remembering years of teaching in Kentucky when I was at school by 6:30. I would never want to return to the exhaustion and impossibility of those days.

CWP was also fortunate to get all the Walker Boys at once this year. Their creativity has passed from one kid to the other and I see the youngest pinches it all together. They are three of the most creative, hilarious, free-thinking, happy kids I've ever met. Hilarious, too,  to know they are CWP-Fairfield teacher-leader Dr. Michelle Caruso Walker's kids. For years I wondered how she kept her home contained, because the boys are walking cinematographers and artists. They've been making movies with their toys since I met them. I hope they maintain this comradery throughout their lives. 

I've heard from Ger that he's coming by, and Dave and Ish will be on their way for the literacy labs next week. Will be a busy household and I'll need to spend most of this morning in preparation. Cooking will align with the weather, I suppose, because I'd much rather have a barbecue than have to do indoor cooking...we'll see what comes this way.

Week 2 of 2026 Literacy Labs has come to a close and the next two weeks focus on older writers (which makes for a different pace to the day). For now, however, I'm enjoying the weekend without the ongoing energy, planning, and implementation of young writers, grades 3-5. We made it both weeks, bursting at the seams, with minimal incidents. Ideally, I like to cap at 25, but over-the-weekend and a glitch in the registration system brought 30 to us....somehow we managed, and I'm actually more grateful that the work went forward was minor hiccups. 

But it is tiring. And I'm getting older.

May the Muppets Be Triumphant, Always. One More Week to Go with Literacy Labs & Wonderful Memories Were Secured (Kermit, Included)

Still not sure who sent me the random Kermit t-shirt, Rainbow Connection, but I remember singing it in elementary school choir and another 4...