Monday, August 31, 2026

A Nice Sunday Afternoon at the Lordship House, Open House, Meeting Community Members of Stratford, & Loving the Sound

Michael Todd Cohen and Adrien Dallas Frankle (sounds like Crandall) opened their home to the community for a late August day to appreciate the view of the sound, their gardens, and a pool. Wonderful to meet with local artists, politicians, teachers, and writer, and to help them carry forward their mission of community, including the local bookstore, Obodo Serendipity books on the green. It was nice to share the experience with Dr. Laura Schall-Leckrone, who will be replacing Dr. Anne Campbell to lead our TESOL program at Fairfield University. 

I spent most of the day working on today's afternoon workshop with undergrads leading th First Year Experience course for freshman students, a fourth year of such work at Fairfield University.

I came home and grilled for Bev, Leo, Pam, and Sharon: corn on the cob, chicken, Hoffman's hotdogs to be matched by potatoes, broccoli, and an incredible beat salad. We watched the Little League World Series championship and sat outside to enjoy the overcast, and somewhat cooling, evening skies of southern Connecticut.  

I love the Lordship House property and the artwork they've collected, including the wandering canoeist that faces east on their property. They have a blessed space, indeed. 

There was a drizzle driving home and now we have a week of humidity, potential showers, and the other grasping of summer days to not turn into Fall.

Our evening meal was delicious, and the sauces I soaked the chicken in were superb. Now it's Monday and time to get back into the routines of days stolen by others in the name of occupations and career. 

Okay, time to get Zen with it all (after I finish this coffee). Here's to the September ahead (and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DYLAN. 27! Really?)

No Clue Who Elliott and Sabrina Are, and That is Not the Mr. Moonbeam I Remember from Brown, But I'll Go With It.

Crazy whirlwind yesterday, without actually leaving my writing couch on the porch. I met with district literacy coordinators, edited several...