Sunday, August 30, 2026

Dog Days of Summer Duty (Limited Time Only) on a Beautiful Day in Saturday...an Excuse to Take Two Walks, But to Stay Home & Work.

Pam had to stay with Patrick & Stephanie's kids starting at 2, so she asked if Rico could stay with me so she didn't have to crate him for the day. I'm fine with that, although he doesn't get comfortable in the house because he wants his own routine. The dog shits more than any other dog I've ever known. Even though he didn't eat until late, he must have taken 7 full shits in my backyard and on the walk. It's probably the result of having open space to play in. 

Pam also said he wouldn't go for a walk and there was no way we'd go alongside Karal. Wrong. Karal actually corralled him into a nice walk (besides the numerous shits). He's such a beautiful creature but at the sound of one bark from my neighbor's lil' Maltese, he ran into the house with his tail behind his leg.

Rico was reluctant to eat at first, which I found strange, because he's one of those aggressive eaters. Karal got her food outside (which we call McDonald's because it's not an in-home meal), but Rico bypassed his indoor one. It wasn't until later when Karal was outside without him that he decided it was safe enough to eat. Rico was reluctant to settle down and nap, too, which I'm sure exhausted him, as he came to my house from his canine-time at Dogtopia, where Pam takes him to socialize. 

Last time I had him, he'd at least come to the porch to check on Karal and I, but this time he went from door to window awaiting Pam. She was out to about 10 pm, so I brought him home so she wouldn't have to drive all the way to Stratford after a day of sitting on grandkids. 

More progress on the work front, and I treated myself to a ribeye on the grill with some peppers and mushrooms. Also weed-whacked more, but the new batteries I have don't have much of a lifespan. Then again, I used it to take down more than grass as I trimmed my gardens in anticipation of Fall. 

Caught up with Abu and learned of Dad's seasoning of his bedsheet with a pepper shaker. Talked to Uncle Milford worrying in Amagansett, and texted with Tunga as he traveled with Lys's family to the Yankees game in the Bronx. He'll be in Louisville next week to see Sue and Dave. 

There's an agenda today of open house at Lordship House for writers and we'll barbecue at night. I kick off my season on Monday and, regrettably, haven't prepared for that first workshop because I'm still trying to put a bow on summer work. 

Alas, it's here. I can't hide. So I will enjoy another humid-less day of August before the week of rain settles in. 


No Clue Who Elliott and Sabrina Are, and That is Not the Mr. Moonbeam I Remember from Brown, But I'll Go With It.

Crazy whirlwind yesterday, without actually leaving my writing couch on the porch. I met with district literacy coordinators, edited several...