Although I got my dad cut and shaved last week, he quickly got scruffy again, so I convinced him to let me give him another shave. He accepted, and in your late 80s, the hair grows in thick and quickly. He will look like a homeless man soon enough. Just a matter of time. I had to use razors, too, which is hard because he's on blood thinners and it hurts to have such hairs cut. But he accepts the offer and it's done with delicate care.
Melissa, the aide, told him he'd better change his clothes before she returned at 4 or she's beat him up in the driveway. Dad listened, but instead of wearing the clothes she laid out for him, he chose a pair of Oscar the Grouch pajama bottoms and a Syracuse sweatshirt. As it was International Pet Day yesterday, I wanted to get one more photo of him and the rascal. As much as a pain in the ass that Karal is, I love how Dad plays with her and keeps his brain stimulated. Melissa was told the blankets could come of the couch after Karal left, and now dad reports that sitting in his spot is cold.
I finished Jim Carrey's Memoirs and Misinformation (2020) and it was as funny and stupid as one would expect it to be. With that noted, however, there's an honest core to the story of mortality, purpose, meaning, and reason for life. In the narration, I couldn't help but resonate with the mid-life questions Carrey asks that leads to his silly, yet reliable, "memoir." Two days after Dolly's departure, you think about how lucky it is to have experienced genius of others within the same lifetime. Icons are icons for reasons. I also started Theo of Golden, but only got through the first couple of chapters before arriving home.
The trip was quick and I made good time. The Birkshires are tricky with Sunday drivers on Wednesday country roads, but the rest was uneventful. Good blue skies with puffy clouds. I got home and definitely needed to mow. I also had to bring in and sort the ones already brought in: books, books, and books!
I was also saddened to learn that Libby, a labradoodle therapy-dog, died on Tuesday. She was famous in our school before Maryanne retired, as he was a therapy dog and did everything with her. For many years, she, Glamis, and Jake were the friends of GSEAP. So much has changed since those days.
Glad I came home to a clean house, except the books and mail. I'm amazed, though, at how quickly I can clutter a space upon return.
I am never sure if Karal likes being back home, as she gets much more attention and vocal opportunity when at my parents. She barks on Mt. Pleasant, too, but she doesn't act like every movement outdoors is someone to visit her like she does there. She loves policing that upstairs. She did sleep the entire way home and has slept next to me in whatever space I've been in, since unpacking the car.
Alright. The emails. I must tackle the emails. Prayers up.
