Chitunga reported to me in Syracuse that when he and Lyssa stayed for the night on Mt. Pleasant, there was a giant weed growing from the front step into the breezeway of the garage. I recognized the leaf patterns and knew it was cosmos, and a seed probably wandered into a crack from last year's bloom. I've been harvesting and distributing the seeds for years. Sure enough, when I drove home Wednesday night, the plant had flowered and a few lonesome flowers were facing up and outward to welcome the sunlight. Is it the mostly sightly location for greenery? Probably not, but it's under a drainage pipe and I'm excited that something grew from the concrete (and no, Tupac, it wasn't a rose). It's a keeper, though, and I'm glad he and Alyssa didn't pull it out.
Cosmos, morning glories, black-eyed Susans, 4 o-clocks, echinacea, and marigolds are living their big life around my lawn right now, as they come back every year and I spread them in the Spring. In a dream-land, I'd have the backyard of Amy Parton's English friends who let us stay with them. North of London, working class, and near several running parks, I was amazed by the great care people had for their backyard gardens for sipping tea, drinking coffee, and gathering for crisps. What I loved most about their gardens are the fox pups that often came out to play in front of us without fear of our humanity. The warm sun and cool temperatures of England also made it joyful to be outdoors in the summer. I'd love to recreate such space at my home, including the fox. They're welcome to burrow under my backyard shed.
Stratford was one GIANT thunderstorm warning yesterday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.. No matter what time I checked, there was a warning that a storm would arrive within minutes with heavy downpours. Yet, as these storms approached Bridgeport, they simply disappeared or split north or south. We never got one. I kept dealing Karals's walk believing the skies would open up at any second. They never did, so we finally got out after I ran to campus to get items, file things away, and bring home others I needed to move forward.
Casey and dad had an adventure on another emergency room run, this time with his legs and imbalance. The thought was he might have a blood clot or a UTI, which both proved negative. They sat for five hours before being seen. I just don't have the patience for that. The one time I was rushed to the hospital (the great bathtub wipeout of 2021), I was one of two people in the lobby. I was seen right away. I know that rarely happens and I'm thankful that my ER trip turned out to be pleasant.
I'm now hearing that there will be no more ER trips for mom or dad, because they are a waste of time. We shall see. I'm not one to ever say never.
It's already another Friday...a weekend...although weekends before starting back up are usually miserable times of keeping up of all needing to be done. I'm going to pace myself, I hope, but the emails alone can take six or seven hours a day. Alas, I can hope. And I can also pray that the humidity will go away so the sinus pressure in my ears, nose, and eyes will dissipate, too.
In the meantime, I'll enjoy the blooms.
