Monday, September 21, 2026

Been Following the Mind of @traecrowder for a Few Years Now. Got To See Him Perform in Hartford Last Night. It Didn't Disappoint.

We drove over an hour and I got the tickets months ago. I have loved hearing the mental meanderings of Trae Crowder for years now. I was late to the online social media game, and typically find most of it ridiculous. Yet, every now there is a shining moment, like finding a great mind. When I need some sanity in an insane world, I love to hear what this guy is saying. He's always spot on, so when I saw he was performing in Syracuse and Hartford, I went after tickets. Sadly, I wouldn't be in Syracuse caring for my parents on the night was there (he was late, anyways -- that's what I hear), but the Connecticut time and place worked out perfectly. It's just that it was raining and over an hour away...that, and it's hard to get my friends out of their routines. I convinced them, though. We went.

Worth all of it. 

I was curious to see if his standup varied from his online video, brain-dumps and if his stream-of-conscious was how he delivered comedy on stage. His brilliance has made me wonder if it is all random (and off the top of his head) or perhaps there's a teleprompter to keep him flowing, or maybe he memorizes all the thinking and then performs....he's incredibly fast, witty, poignant, and thought-provoking, and it's intriguing to me. It's the type of brain that makes me question, "Does this guy sleep or does it fly so fast that there's little time to make friends with a pillow?" Too many glitches in the ol' logic train of things making sense. I was curious to see if his videos were how he performed at the Mic.

Nope. He has a different command of the stage and it works. It's really good. Poised, sharp, and well-time. You almost want a transcript of the performance, because he strings along words and ideas in the most original, clever way and you don't want to miss them. Absolutely love the way his mind works.

I also haven't been to a mall in years. Funny Bones was in one and, well, probably has seen better days. We worked ourselves up for the bar food and it was just that....served on tables that we referred to as our shared TV-tray. There was no space for the food and they packed us in like sardines, even though there were spaces where they could have spread us out more. It's all good, we didn't go for the venue (although our waitress was great, if not managing the impossible of so many tables). We came for the comedy.

Trae Crowder was as great as I hoped he'd be. Loved the Scottish tales, his depictions of doing stand-up in different cities, and the ways obsolete, random, unknown people from miles away can stick in our crawl because of the stupidity they share online. Not the train wrecks, who share life drama caused only by themselves, but those who demonstrated daily how dumb they really are ---,you can't get it out of your head (just like the fact that NYC could use more ice).

I didn't grab a possum yoga shirt, but did get a pic of the guy. I'm thinking of the younger years, at 40, and how the wind whirled differently then. I've said it for a while now that 40 to 50 was one of the best decades in my life (and I hope it is the same for this guy...he deserves it). Anyway, this is all to say that the insanity is made more sane when I hear Trae Crowder do what he does....finding away to laugh at the absurdity, while hoping to find meaning in the meaninglessness. It's just nice to know another brain thinks about the heavier stuff, while trying to maintain proximity to 'knowledge' and 'reason' in the inaneness of the everyday.

It's Monday, but yesterday was a good Sunday. Now back to work. Thanks, Trae. Needed the laugh.

Oh, the Joy of Homemade French Onion Soup Followed by the World's Worst Movie Ever Made (and I Watched It All)

The rain wasn't as bad as expected, but at times the bands were rough with winds. I drove to the ocean, too, and it wasn't as choppy...