Friday, September 4, 2026

Can't Help But Post Another Cosmos Bloom (As I Snapped It Before Kicking-Off a Semester with a Faculty Picnic)

It's been a minute since I bought beer, and even more since I bought several cases of it. I was asked to be the beer-purchaser for the Faculty Welfare picnic, as many of the elected faculty leadership team couldn't make this year's date. I realized upon the first case that I'd need a cart, grabbed one, returned, and began loading, only to be reprimanded by an employee, "Customers are not allowed in the cooler." 

Well, it was muggy again, there was a door, the beer I wanted wasn't in the cases, and I figured they'd have more in the back. I was right. I loaded my cart anyway, checked out, and left, returning the cart to where it belonged. 

The new hire crowd wasn't as big as usual, and because the event was held indoors this year, there wasn't as much a need to wet the whistle: Modelo gold & dark, New Castle (which went quickly), and Heineken. They would drink my favorite of the brands. I ended up bringing half of it home to store for the next event. 

God Bless Sonya Huber. She works tirelessly in all capacities and was the one that recruited me...always with respect for what Faculty want and need. We don't have a union to help us, but we do have this committee to advocate where we can. 

Although the day was supposed to storm, as usual the predictions were a bust. It was just humid and miserable. They went indoors because of the weather predictions, and I'm glad because we would have been drenched with sweat outside. 

I did notice a new bunch of cosmos bloomed as I was getting in my car to head to campus. I love these flowers....the way they firework in their blossoming. 

I'm happy with one of my syllabi and on the way with the other. I'm also glad it's Friday...a 3-day weekend, and that Chitunga is in Louisville with Sue & Dave.

And with that, I'm off to schools. 

No Clue Who Elliott and Sabrina Are, and That is Not the Mr. Moonbeam I Remember from Brown, But I'll Go With It.

Crazy whirlwind yesterday, without actually leaving my writing couch on the porch. I met with district literacy coordinators, edited several...