Saturday, September 5, 2026

Here's to Special EATZ. For Some, It's Vietnamese in Louisville with Brown School Alumni & for this Guy, A Neighbor's Delivery

Every once in a while, when sitting on the front porch writing late on a Friday afternoon, a Brazilian neighbor visiting from NYC brings over what he's got cooking-up at his mother-in-law's old house. Still sad that my elderly neighbor passed on, but glad when her son and his partner come to town and I benefit from a bonus, unexpected meal. 

It was a day of visiting schools, mentoring junior faculty on dossiers, and putting CWP-Fairfield work into motion by visiting schools. The afternoon (and evening) was spent watching Louisville and Fairfield volleyball games on ESPN. I was glad to gift Chitunga and Sue the opportunity to watch others sweat in the hot temperatures of Kentucky. Louisville looked really good against TCU and I'm glad they enjoyed the game. Fairfield played strong, but didn't pull out the match against Harvard on their short Boston tour. 

I was also thrilled to see that they returned to Nam Huynh's Eatz for dinner, where they snapped a photo of their delighted tummies (you can tell from their smiles). I knew they were going to have an adventure early in the morning when Sue, walking Pilot, sent me a video while the kid, well adult, was still sleeping in like Dave. 

Today will be another day of seeing what can be accomplished from sunrise to sunset. The semester pace differs from the summer pace, because of all the complicated ways opportunities and classes attack the calendar. Early in the semester is hardest, because 13 weeks of instruction needs to be outlined, planned, and ready to go. Of course, all the CWP collaborations need to be laid out, too, and K-12 teachers are extremely busy with their own openings.

I still shake my head though, that all these years later Chitunga visits the 'Ville and has interactions with the world I once knew. My goal is to the Bluegrass one of these days to taste Nam's artistry in action. As a student, I never knew he had a particular interest in culinary creativity, but I've been hearing for years that his dishes are outstanding (and by the looks of the empty bowls and plates, I don't think much was left behind to cast into the garbage. 

Ah, now for Saturday. There are more volleyball games to watch and storms to keep an eye out for. I have fish to grill, key lime to bake, and linguini to boil. We'll see how much culinary craft I'll conduct on my own. 

It Will Only Be Temporary, Karal. Not Quite Sure What It Was, But It's Being Treated. Seems to Be a Symbol of Life Right Now

About a week ago, I felt these tiny bumps on Karal's head. Just a couple. I think I picked one, thinking it was a baby tick. A couple da...