"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member," often attributed to Groucho Marx, has also been a mantra I've upheld in my professional life. I have eyes skeptical to optics, narratives, and positioning, especially in the perceived notions of power. I know I need a better work/life balance, but it's not my nature, so I choose to find joy in the work that I do.
This includes sending photos during faculty meetings to colleagues from other schools who I am genuinely excited to see (because I admire them). My Tuesday research class held a theme of close-up nature photos, so I tried one of my head. That's what the colleagues got yesterday.
I was also in conversation with coaches of the Women's Volleyball team which led to talk on generational changes, Covid, the vastness/quickness of AI, and the rampant truth/non-truth that has become invasive in all our lives. They triggered my thinking on leadership, and how leading comes in multiple ways, including kindness to others (and random acts), acting in ways that are better than words, and ram-horns down, full charge ahead, philosophies of making things happen and getting the work done.
I enjoyed little league baseball, but was never one for organized sport for myself, especially when I learned I could work, instead, and make money. I did pick up running, though, as it cleared my mind, fought my genetics, and was genuinely good for me until the body gave out and I had to resort to walking. I spent last weekend watching games at all levels and started thinking about what it takes to be a student athlete, but also what it takes for student athletes to also be leaders. In a faculty liaison role, I see my job as supporting the coaches and team leaders with little things...simply to say we're all in this life/competition thing together.
I survived two faculty meetings, the insanity of another year, a computer exchange (which is a whole other story), and a social gathering, all with a pretense of grace, hope, and possibility. My gut said, "Why bother," but then I realized that my actions do matter and not being present would be part of the problem. Leading means listening to others, so I can better lead in the communities I inhabit.
Karal's going to the vet this morning, I'm meeting with students, and I have National Writing Project connectivity in the evening. My eyes are focused upon what needs to get done, and I'm trying to package all frustrations and resentments to the side.
