Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Morning Glories Were in Full Bloom When I Left for Campus (First Day). It Was Pitch Black When I Returned Home at 10 p.m.. And We're Off.

I told the students that the light that accompanied our classes last night would soon be leaving us and eventually we'll be doing the work in the evening, after the sun sets. I have back-to-back courses, and I planned on switching the later class to online after the first night, but learned that the majority of students have a class right before mine, so transitioning home might be a problem. Ah, but some commute over an hour and I'm thinking about how late they'll get home, only to have to be in school in the early hours. I need to think of a game plan that accommodates all. I know what I'm doing, and I'm sure I'll get everyone to where they need to be, but I need to rethink instruction for how it will have the biggest punch. 

Never a dull moment. Never the same thing twice, as our school is constantly changing course requirements, the way students go through the program, and the interactions with local schools. All I can say is that being a pre-service teacher in the certification year (with student teaching) is a lot. Of course, the research course also has veteran teachers. It is something to teach. 

My first day back started out miserably, as a Write Time recording was finalized for the very night where I teach back-to-back. I wrote down October 8th, not September 8th. This was my bad and so that all had to be rearranged. 

Of course, the hallways were bustling with colleagues who haven't been in since May, and all I can think about is how I'm still trying to finish the work of the literacy labs in POW!. I need to get on that, but there have not been any moments to achieve this. It's been go-go-go with all the other work required: grants, course planning, meetings, and writing projects.

Most of the students I have this semester I've had before, so that saved much of the team building because most know each other. The few new people were probably like, "Who is this crazy man?"

Today, it's back to back to back to back meetings and I won't have much time to do the work that I'm scheduled to get done. Such is the crazy way education works in this world. 

I did enjoy the purple blooms, though, and walked Karal for an hour before I took off. I needed the mental space as it all can be overwhelming. Dinner at 10 p.m. to, however, is an adjustment I need to fix. Perhaps skipping lunch and eating hefty at 4 p.m. is the way to resolve this. Only time will tell. I was impressed by the students who had packed dinners citing the truth that all their meals are on the road this semester. That is true...and I'm thinking about my own student teaching and the methods that came before it all. The one thing there never is enough time for is space and time. I remember Kathy Hinchman said this to me at Syracuse when she said, "Read everything now. You'll never have this privilege again when you are running the work at the University." 

Truth. 

It is what it is and onward I must go. Hello, Meetings. How are you?

No Clue Who Elliott and Sabrina Are, and That is Not the Mr. Moonbeam I Remember from Brown, But I'll Go With It.

Crazy whirlwind yesterday, without actually leaving my writing couch on the porch. I met with district literacy coordinators, edited several...