Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Monday Kicked Off the Week with a "Whomp Whomp," & Now I Need to Put My Head Back to the Drawing Boards

I love Dr. Anne Campbell. She retired, and then took lead on writing a federal grant that would unite modern languages, TESOL, and the Connecticut Writing Project. In the proposal, tuition for another generation of TESOL graduate students would be paid, and all of our graduates would instantly become part of the National Writing Project, because the summer institute was part of the teacher training we would offer. 

We scored well (reviewer #2 the harshest). The problem is that the 60-100 grants to be awarded by the federal government, turned into only 12. Current administration is sucking back funding on all education initiatives. We weren't in the top 12 of proposals, and I imagine being a blue state would also throw off our selection. First email of the day, yesterday, was from our grant officer, "I hate to start off your week with bad news, but the grant was not selected."

whomp whomp whomp whomp whomp. 

I have to admit, the possibility of the grant was making me a wee bit hopeful about higher educations. It would have been wonderful to carry out and, to be honest, to have a steady stream of graduate students. I also looked forward to sharing what we were have been learning with other National Writing Project sites, especially working with language learners. Our youth programs are booming, and I love sharing our model with other teachers. 

And the reality of not being selected coupled with the phenomenal years of NWP and the challenges it's been facing since I first became a director of a site, when coupled with the lack of support for research, education, schools, and literacy, has put lil' ol Eeyore back in my head. I love / to believe / in hope, and I've also been the type to make lemonade with the lemons, but I'm also tired. It takes a lot to stay afloat. I was hoping for the grant so I could have colleagues again, people to talk and think with, and to dream for a better world for kids. It was a big chunk of change, if awarded, and it would have lasted 5 years.

whomp whomp whomp whomp whomp. 

Now I know we can always cut and paste from one idea to another, but that is extra labor, too. I miss the days where just enough funding from the federal government came for each NWP site to host a teacher institute. The summer work was always the best weeks of the year: so much intelligence, creativity, and sharing. Teachers teaching teachers. It allowed us to respect educators with a small stipend or course credits for their hard work. Magic was always had (and the research proves it is true across the country at all the sites). 

It's going to be a minute before I get out of the non-selected funk...I was doubtful, but there was that one little part of me that thought, "This will finally bring some sanity my way." It was a brilliant plan (and the reviewers...all three...commented that the strength of the proposal was with the CT Writing Project collaboration and a focus on writing with teachers and students of other languages. They saw that as tremendously effective, new, and promising. Ah, but it wasn't enough....this time, anyways.

Still thankful for Anne for taking the lead. She saw a need and proposed a solution. It's just not the way it is in the world these days.

whomp whomp whomp whomp whomp. 

The Brain Never Felt Like Working Yesterday No Matter How Much I Tried. I Finally Through in the Towel Around 7 PM. Called It a Night

I must celebrate the fact that I actually had a meal. Yesterday and today were pretty much sloppy eating because there was no space to actua...