Sunday, October 4, 2026

When the Sister Goes Through Drawers on Amalfi Drive, the Throwbacks Come Flying My Way...I Think I Remember.

One thing is for sure, the t.v. was loud, it was like Days of Our Lives, and I learned early to push away distraction so I could read whatever I had in my face. I recall that often my mother's hip was my pillow as I lived consuming whatever it was in front of my eyes. Senior pictures are still out (they disappeared in our 20s) and I am wearing the hospital pajamas that a customer brought me when I sold shoes at Sibley's. I remember the lady was a total nut and came to visit me in the shoe section for several weeks straight. Then one day she brought me the medical wear and I thought, "Either she works at a hospital, or she's a mental patient at one." I always loved wearing them, so this photo must be take around 1990-1992. By 1994, my hair was much longer. If you zoom in, you can still see my giant nose-mole before it was taken off many years later (or this might be another photo my sister sent.

If I am doing Math right, my mom must be a couple of years younger than I am right now...around 50 or 51...we'll see how she responds. That's also the old couch that mom used to sit on. Mom's in shorts and I'm pretty tan, so I'm guessing this was August/September. Love the Family Ties, Fernando-made family portrait, as it still is in the same location.

Oh, I have earring so this must have been after London...I'm now leaning towards 1993. One of the things I noticed in several photos Cynde sent is that my legs are hairy. Ever since psoriasis and all the creams, I haven't had much hair on my legs. Zooming in, I also realize I'm not reading anything profound, because it is a t.v. guide. Perhaps I was finding out what was on this time of day. 

It's wild to get a photo from the past, where you try to figure out where it was from and how old you were. When I arrived to Kentucky in 1994, I stopped taking photos. I remember thinking it was cool to say things like, "I'd rather be living that feeing the need how to capture how I lived." For this reason, I have very few photos from 1994-1998, when I was in the classroom and felt it was smart to document the work.

Now, of course, we have phones. I do have boxes of photographs and albums, but I rarely pay attention to them. I should. I mean, I'm fascinated to look back and think, "When was that?" Gen X is the last of the photograph kids, as when my nieces and nephews were coming up, every moment of their life was on film (always wondered what that does for ego). Of course, films: VHS and DVD are also a think of a past. Wild to think about. 

It's a rainy Sunday so I need to use it wisely to get ahead of the week. Always easier to tap on the computer when it's wet outside. Oh, and Karal was bathed, probably the last time until Spring. 

When the Sister Goes Through Drawers on Amalfi Drive, the Throwbacks Come Flying My Way...I Think I Remember.

One thing is for sure, the t.v. was loud, it was like Days of Our Lives , and I learned early to push away distraction so I could read whate...