Saturday, October 3, 2026

Another Great Sweep by @StagsVB. Love Seeing Them Play on Home Court. Even More Fun When They Do What They Can Do with Joy

One of the wiser decisions I've made since being promoted to Full professor, is to extend my service to other arenas on campus, besides the academic one. Yes, I'm student-first, always, but for the first decade at Fairfield, I've served on Faculty Handbook Committees, numerous school committees, chaired many times for these committees, and maintained my community-focused, off-campus work. I knew when faculty were solicited for liaison work, I wanted to get volleyball if I could. Lucky for me, I was matched with the coaches and now I have another excuse to watch a game I love and support members of the team....and they just happen to be MAAC champions.

I consider myself a dad-figure (bad jokes and all), but also a behind-the-scenes-magician who helps to keep the spirits up, shows faculty support, mentors, and assists the coaches from afar. This year, Nancy and Meika have me working directly with the leadership team of the team, so communication has gotten better. I gift them with Crandall corniness (30-second dance party button, wind-up toys, unicorn dust, stickers) with notes of advice, thought, and cheer. It brings me back to my coaching days in Kentucky and how the bond outside of 'English Teacher' carried onto lifetime friendships and trust. 

Student athletes have it hard. This is the #1 reason I like to work in support of them. 

I gave writer's notebooks to the men's basketball team (Ubuntu Academy ones used by my cousin in his international work that I had made) and in my office is a bag with more for the women's' team. I'm probably old school, in the sense that I'm always writing in notebooks. I see my CWP students doing the same on their phones in notes. Would be an interesting study to study that more? How these phones lead to work later on (in hopes that this is true and they store notes on them). 

Stags VB plays again at 4 pm this afternoon and I'll be there. It was wonderful to see Noelle at the game, too, Noey, as she loves watching games at the arena. Athletics have wrapped their arm around her, both on the courts and in the cafeteria. Speaking of support, it was also wonderful to see the Men's soccer team and the Fairfield Diving and Swimming team in the arena to support the 3w's. 

Besides the game, I'm getting morning writing done, then yard work, including the garage, and perhaps some power washing. I'm amazed at how the green mold spreads so quickly in CT a this time of year. I'm being optimistic about my day, but truly want to stay aways from the laptop for a change. 

Another Great Sweep by @StagsVB. Love Seeing Them Play on Home Court. Even More Fun When They Do What They Can Do with Joy

One of the wiser decisions I've made since being promoted to Full professor, is to extend my service to other arenas on campus, besides ...