We had another nice day of cool air, which was even better when I finally walked Karal at 6 p.m. (needed to clean up after kids, deal with a menacing kid who locked his cellphone in a locker and couldn't remember the digital code he put in to charge it....good news is that campus ITS is used to college kids being idiots, too, so they solved the issue quickly (with angry mom in tow wondering why he'd do something so silly).
Youth is wasted on the young.
Today will be some dialogue exercises with older kids and much conferencing to see where everyone is with their writing. All hands will be on deck for the little kids to type Thursday/Friday. I also have the first mute kid who, I realize, has also been silent on the page. His parents simply want him to have the social experience, and he's come a long way. Yesterday, he nodded his head that he would talk to his friend he made and tell him what he wants to be written, and that I can be in the room with them to put it to page. We'll see how this goes. I had a 9th grader once why had dysgraphia and that's how we use to operate. He'd kvetch with friends and I would record. The issue was not with his intelligence....it was in finding the way for him to communicate in a way that works for him.
Finally, years ago I wrote an 'argh'ument song to the tune of Let It Snow. Yesterday, Scarlett (an intern I hired for the summer who is a voice major at Dickinson) led the kids in a rendition of the song. It was amazing. I'm going to get her to record it for me! I'd love to make a video of the kids and their argumentative essays with her singing as part of the show!
Onward. Time to make the donuts.
