The kids were oriented to programs, and all were engaged from start to finish. I have one couple who signed their kid up for the program and who chose to do their vacation in the area so he could attend. They said they were reading about the work (where? I don't know) and they can't believe I do so much for young writers in southern Connecticut. The kicker is that they're both economists at Northeastern in Boston. Totally different field and state. Yet, here they are. I will never know how they find us, other than she said she contacted me last summer about possibility having her kid attend. He was great.
I also love to see the teachers come into their own, leading with the magic of great teaching, and truly caring about what the kids put to paper. The other fascinating part is how devoted and dedicated all the kids are to their writing. We definitely get the kids who would like spend the day writing with or without us....it's just with us they are in the company of others.
I'll be doing an Argh-ument workshop with the little kids today, which always makes me happy, because it's one of those workshops where you see lightbulbs going off and kids WANTING to put their pen to page. Yesterday, I told the story of Sisyphus, and how he was cursed to bring a lemon to the mountain top only to see it fall again. This 9 year old goes, "Don't you mean boulder," and I'm like, "No. I said lemon. When life gives us lemons..."
Well, they got it from day one. We make lemonade..
And we do need to make lemonade It's a no brainer.
