Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Big Day for Papi Butch...Not Only Has He Been Shaved for the First Time in Months, But Today His Electric Chair Arrives to Help Him Stand Up

I've been shaving my father's head for two decades now. It's been trickier as he's aged, as his skin is more sensitive and he doesn't like the feeling of being shaved. He complied last night after eating more pot roast and before I fed him blueberry crunch dessert. It's always an odd, life-filled peculiarity cutting his hair now, with the dementia, and his inability to shave himself (although plucking nostril and ear hairs hasn't gone to the wayside).

I spent most of the day editing POW! (the Cultivated Writer's Collective part) and getting students registered for courses because the class is already full. That, and summer bills are hitting with invoices.

Walking the neighborhood, I saw Bob Ryan out front, but he no longer recognizes most people. Cathy came outside and filled me in on the Bamm Hollow crew. Phew. Later, after I forgot my glasses at Cynde's, I ran into Judy and John Marley who were out for a walk. Sent love to Michelle and Jim, and told her much joy I got from seeing Jimmy giving Stephanie Caroli a ride on his new motorcycle. Also ran into Kirsten while dropping off a dessert for her mom...that was unexpected. Wild ride, it all is. 

But now it is time to ready for the new furniture while causing the least amount of stress on the routines of childhood home. More to come on that. 

Big Day for Papi Butch...Not Only Has He Been Shaved for the First Time in Months, But Today His Electric Chair Arrives to Help Him Stand Up

I've been shaving my father's head for two decades now. It's been trickier as he's aged, as his skin is more sensitive and h...