Friday, September 18, 2026

Finally Saw the @StagsVB Live! Match Won (& the Writers' (Athlete) Notebooks) on Display

The better way to spend the post-work hours (as part of the good work), is attending a great lecture, celebrating the Center for Climate, Coastal, and Marine Studies incredible work, and volleyball games at the Mahoney. Women's team takes the W with 3 matches. Always love seeing new players to the team getting court time to show what they can do, especially scoring the last point of the match. 

The Distinguished Seminar for the Center for Climate, Coastal, and Marine Studies with Dr. Maureen Cropper was also a treat, although seeing the economic damage caused by plastic via a health-care lens was disturbing, as were the images of plastic farms around the world and the medical conditions arising now that microplastics are being found in our blood.

In the morning, I also took pleasure reading a story by a 6th grader written, in part, to teacher her how to speak Korean. Attending an urban school, I'm curious where the interest started and imagine there's a story. I love that a kid is teaching herself to translanguage in her ELA classes. Sadly, I had only include an excerpt for publication, because it's part of a novel she's working on!

Finally, I love visiting Possible Futures in New Haven and the latest boxes of books I'm promoting this semester arrived. I'm doing an asynchronous PD available to teachers during October...now I have the goods in my hands. Phew. It was a workout loading them all in my car. 

Another game tonight and a third on Saturday. I won't be able to make this 2nd game (boo), but will be back on Saturday. Always love volleyball season.


Oh, the Joy of Homemade French Onion Soup Followed by the World's Worst Movie Ever Made (and I Watched It All)

The rain wasn't as bad as expected, but at times the bands were rough with winds. I drove to the ocean, too, and it wasn't as choppy...