Thursday, September 17, 2026

Oof! Wednesday Night Brain Collapse After a Long Day of Mind-Numbing Meetings. But Thinking Fondly of the Tuesday Classes.

I was up early yesterday to prepare notes for a meeting with Politics on campus. I'm always amazed at how far removed academics are from the complexities, layers, heaviness, and demands of K-12 schools. In fact, most high schools have faculties the same size, if not larger, than the one at Fairfield University. There is a definite disconnect with the flexibility, time, and space academics have to dream up projects, versus the on-the-ground, constantly over-stimulating movement of a normal school. When a scholar wants something to happen they think a few finger snaps should do it, and it will be over with. They have no idea how much time, energy, investment, and collaboration it takes to build programs. Alas, the call had me thinking so I was up early.

I followed with grading, then moved to on-campus meetings until 4. I came home and graded more, wrote several recommendations, but by seven, I had one of those brain drain moments where all I could do was yawn. I decided I need to give my brain a break for the rest of the night so it might be restored in the morning. Working behind screen as much as I do can be taxing. 

On Tuesday, I did my annual Body Biographies (thanks, Cindy and Smag) and of course we had a great time...well, they did. I can't wait to return to them next week. They're so much fun.

Ah, but I crashed last night, mindlessly, and that is probably a good thing.

Especially after all the meetings. 

Oh, the Joy of Homemade French Onion Soup Followed by the World's Worst Movie Ever Made (and I Watched It All)

The rain wasn't as bad as expected, but at times the bands were rough with winds. I drove to the ocean, too, and it wasn't as choppy...